ann_byrne99

Changing the layout

Ann Byrne
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Background: location France. Two adults live here. Occasional family/friends visit.
Problem: We moved here in July and can’t see the wood for the trees… we feel as though the current layout ‘wastes’ space, but on a limited budget, we’re struggling to decide on our starting point/priority.
We can only afford to do one big job and these are our muddled thoughts:

1. Knock the two small bedrooms into one. Involves removing a supporting wall (was external before this room added - long before our purchase), expensive bespoke new glazing.
  2. Add extra living room space by opening up the office to existing living room. Involves removing part of an internal (supporting) wall. Existing (huge) replace is already destined to be removed and replaced with a Rocal Oval log burner.
  3. Do neither 1 or 2 and use our budget to turn the garage roof space into guest bedroom and bathroom.
    Photos below of floorplan, area for bespoke glazing (option 1), wall to remove in yellow (please don’t judge the decor - photo from previous owners sale particulars!) monster fireplace to be removed (option 2), and (option 3) garage that we could add external stairs into roof space.
    On top of this we have a kitchen and bathroom to refit. Separate budget.
    Thoughts/suggestions?

PLEASE DON'T REPLY TO POLL IT WAS AN ACCIDENT AND I CAN'T REMOVE IT
PLEASE DON'T REPLY TO POLL IT WAS AN ACCIDENT AND I CAN'T REMOVE IT

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.