webuser_514960337

Fireplace Surround Leg Width Proportions to Insert

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi there,

I'm getting a Victorian marbel surround made in same style as first photo, but custom made to my 28x36" insert, and 45" hearth. Due to needing enough overhang either side, need to decide whether have 6" legs (with corbels made proprtionally smaller), or 7" legs, but this would mean getting mantel and hearth made bigger (46") so legs aren't too close to hearth edge.

Second photo shows the 6" legs on leftside (the current surround legs are 6"), and 7" legs on rightside.

My main question is how to decide what width legs are most suitable for a 28x26" insert, I can't find an answer on the web, so maybe it's just personal pref. The surrround will be taller than the photo, approx. 46" I imagine, what the yellow line represents lol.

I also can't find photos of this style of fireplace in such a small size with corbels, so not sure if this is unusual.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.