lucy_james49

Which layout do you think would look best for our renovation project?

LJMC
12 days ago

We are renovating and, due to a badly built extension, we need to alter the stairs as they are unsafe. Altering them means bringing them forward so that they can be raised up, providing a much smaller step into the bathroom which sits on the half turn of the stairs.

Downstairs is an S shaped structural wall (shown on floor plan and blue in the photo) which we can’t afford to move. We therefore think we have two options:

Option 1 (orange) bringing the stairs forwards into the hall. This means you’d still have the view of the stairs when you come in the doorway, but the stairs would almost connect with the S shaped structural wall, so your only way to enter/exit the downstairs section would be through the living/dining room door (right now you can walk past the stairs to get to the kitchen) and this might look odd.

Option 2 (green) instead of bringing the stairs forwards into the hall, we could add a turn and bring them into the living/dining room. This would solve the problem above but would mean we need to add a wall shown by the green line, which would make the hallway much darker. It also would make it harder to get furniture upstairs.

Option 3?

Things we are reluctant to change: we would still like a hallway, and we would like to keep the character of the property (but not at a risk of it looking very odd)

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.