webuser_844613799

Adding a hallway

Dannij J
13 days ago

Our house has a tiny hallway, with access to the stairs and living room and office from it. The kitchen/diner/laundry room is then accessed through the living room. My husband wants to put in a hallway. I like the idea of having it as a cosy room with carpet. Don’t feel that carpet is good choice with the current layout.

This would mean taking about 2/3ft from the living room putting up a wall to create a passage and then knocking through a doorway at the end of the hall for access to the kitchen. We will also open the kitchen and dinning room to make the kitchen bigger.

We would then close off the double doors currently between the living room and kitchen diner, removing the wall currently between the stairs and living room and putting in a banister as well as opening up under the stairs that is also a storage cupboard.

Question is, is this doable? Would we need any planning permission etc. My husband is planning on doing the work himself which doesn’t concern me as he is more than capable.

We’re not moving any time soon and it feels like a better setup for our family especially with a large dog.

I would like to know what others think or if anyone has done similar. Also open to suggestions.

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.