tim_summers15

Row of Leylandii replaced with fence

Tim Summers
2 years ago

We were required by Building Control to remove a row of leylandii 'trees' due to future potential root damage. As this is technically our front garden then without planning permission we could only put up a fence max 1m, so once that was all granted we proceeded.

I must admit the Greta Thunburg in me didn't like removing trees, but it had to be done.

Before:

* We also had two much larger conifers removed as you can see the damage they had already caused to the driveway, hence the logs. This left the row of laylandii half dead and looking awful.

During the leylandii removal:

Trees all removed leaving us feeling VERY naked and open:

Fence all up after a couple of days:

(The two smaller orange fence panels at the end are to be replaced as these are only temporary as one of the panels got accidently damaged in transit)

Next step (probably not before Christmas, although we do have to WFH from Monday so I will get time lol) is to get that earth removed from the old raised bed and fill it with some road planings or Type 1 MOT aggregate to temporary extend the drive to the fence.

Also: I'll make some raised planters to cover the concrete base-boards (and use dirt that's there) and put a little decking walkway around the side entrance (where the orange fence square-off is)

It's all a bit 'stark' as it's only 1 day old, but I'll stain the fence around the spring time, and once we get the planters made then a few nice tall bamboo and some grasses will soften it up nicely.

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.