forzaitalia

UPDATE: FIVE WEEKS AFTER PAINTING MY DECK

Sonia
4 years ago

Thought I would share with you all pics of how the deck looks now after 5 weeks of wear and tear and torrential downpours. The paint is already flaking off and it has faded. Granted some of it is scrapes when moving the metal furniture, but even still, I’d expect this after a year, not 5 weeks. The paint I used was Screwfix No Nonsense Decking Stain, and it actually got the best reviews, for some reason! I will be touching up the worn bits, but I am not impressed.

Comments (46)

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Sonia! That's so frustrating!! I'd be really annoyed too! Are you going to complain to screwfix? I would... on some form of social media if they don't respond positively! Outdoor decking paint ought to be able to withstand more than 5 weeks of outside life!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree Gabby. Of course it won’t last forever, and we have had an awful of rain which hasn’t helped. I will complain to Screwfix but all I’m saying is don't use this stain on your deck, it is rubbish! Think I’ll have to cover it with my outdoor rug until I can be bothered to touch it up.

• Related Discussions

Advice needed : kitchen cabinet update / painting cabinets

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi, I have just finished repainting my kitchen myself. Overall I am happy with the new look, but I think the final verdict is only possible after some time (to see if the paint hardens enough). I have used Ammonite Farrow and Ball which is very warm grey colour. It looks nice in dark corners as well. Had to apply 4 coats of paint after 3 coats of FB primer. So be aware of the quantities. I must say that the process of repainting was not an easy ride. I spent overall three weeks (full time weekends and doing some smaller works in the evenings). Preparation is the hardest part (sanding, sanding and sanding), while painting is also a vey delicate process). If you are not afraid of hard work do it yourself! Otherwise, a professional is always a good option. Check traditionalpainter.com website they have a number of good instructions on repainting the cabinets.
    ...See More

Need to update 5 year old girl's room inspiration please

Q

Comments (15)
    I think a very pale aqua paint would look lovely with the pink accessories and the white furniture. It’s one of those colours that looks good as a background against many colours so it would be easy for you to update the room as your daughter gets older. Also I wondered if you can fit the bed against the wall with the headboard in the corner against the wardrobe wall, then the bedside cabinet (then the wardrobe), and put the chest of drawers under the existing butterfly picture, that would give some floor space for playing. You could also add an inexpensive rug. Here’s a picture of wall colour I was thinking of:
    ...See More

Bedroom update for young teen

Q

Comments (48)
    We were on our way to removing the RH long bit to make the desk straight but stopped here at a half-way house position - just to consider it. We do a lot of procrastinating in my house!! Means retaining the large corner space. Needs a new top, obvs and in a different shape, probably curved? What do you think? Now got a fair bit of free wall. Daughter likes it:) Electrician comes next week so we need to decide this weekend.
    ...See More

BEFORE AND AFTER DECKING UPDATE

Q

Comments (47)
    New Girl thank you for your lovely kind comments. I did Click & Collect so paid ahead and then collected the paint. I’ve just checked my local stores, nearest one in Letchworth, Herts, and many of them have about 8 cans per store, so is your store telling porkies? I would research any paints you buy as paying more doesn’t always mean better quality. Silver Birch was one I considered and it does look lovely. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

How annoying. It also seems to have a 1 year guarantee so would definitely complain and ask how it can be prevented in the future.

Also, rather annoyingly they automatically list their reviews from high to low (although you can re-sort them) but anyway a number of people have had the same issue as you :( I must admit I would just have flicked through the glowing reviews on the first couple of pages.

It would be good if all the companies that invite you to review a purchase then do a follow up in x weeks/months so you get an accurate picture. Unfortunately a lot of them will only allow the initial review

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-anti-slip-quick-drying-decking-stain-silver-birch-2-5ltr/1813X?tc=TT6&ds_kid=92700038925589147&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1243321&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&gclid=CjwKCAjwtO7qBRBQEiwAl5WC25T1uKHXIaIT7bHrujZFpnXBpU6mBuzXB_fGyTFBF5ektckbrvZTrhoCUOQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

minnie101 - Hmm very naughty putting the five star ratings first - deceiving the customer! In America I noticed some firms have been sued for inadequate quality of decking stain (Rustoleum is one) so there’s a lot of rubbish on the market! I will complain, for what it’s worth........

• Daisy England
    4 years ago

It’s not really good enough. I’d see what they say.

Regarding reviews I’ve started reading 1* reviews before the 5* ones now. If there’s a lot of bad information in the 1* I won’t buy the product.

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Sonia. Oh no! And I’ve been recommending it as well because it looked really good when you first painted it. Definitely complain to Screwfix, I would at least expect the money back. I’ve took quite a few things back there with the explanation of “it don’t work” (northern accent obvs):)

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve got the CEO’s name so I will email him to start with - that usually works. Daisy and Rachel, who even knew that ratings were listed in such a deceiving way? That will be in my email! Rachel I’ll use my best northern accent if I do go in store. I’ll take you with me Daisy as you do come across as someone not to be trifled with lol.

It‘s not the end of the world, first world problems and all that, I just don’t want anyone buying this paint.

• E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sorry to hear/see that Sonia. But not surprised.

This is the stuff (Cuprinol) I bought last year intending to use it on our decking but thought i’d try it out on some wooden planters first. Thankfully.

In no time it was wearing off and flaking. Just like yours.

(The planters are at the bottom of the photo)

They should really take all these decking staines off the market.

They're useless and a rip-off .

PS

i slipped in some flowering plants to hopefully cheer you up little... :-)

• minnie101
    4 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen ratings listed like that tbh, for products I think they're always in date order and then you may be able to click on the particular star review. Holiday/hotel companies may differ and have their default option as "most popular" but that's understandable. I had issues with rustoleum recently too. I sprayed some lights, using primer etc first and when the guy went to fit them bits of paint chipped off...I happened to have a decorator here at the time so re-did them using some indestructible spray primer he had which seemed to do the trick. I would assume VOC's are in these products too which governments regulate so may have some effect on durability (Maybe?!)

• E D
    4 years ago

Now this the stuff I think DOES do what it says on the tin (so to speak...)

Decking OIL.

I used it on a wooden ‘garden bench/shelf‘ and Even after 4 seasons mainly in the shade and dampness it hasn’t flaked whatsoever and hardly worn.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you E D, the flower pics are most welcome! minnie101 unbelievable how these companies get away with such inferior products. I suppose water based products are never going to be as good as oil based, headache inducing ones!

• Patrina
    4 years ago

Hi Sonia sorry to hear about that especially with all the hard work you did. Agree with ED did our deck 4 years ago and it still looks good with ronseal deckimg oil. My hubby only today hubby washed the deck and did a new application. Still looks good.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Patrina. I’ve put an outdoor rug over the worst of it!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Emailed the boss man at Screwfix with photos who replied immediately despite being on holiday, so probably one of minions, but he seems very concerned and then had another email from another person who said my complaint has been passed to Quality Control and they will try and solve the problem. Hopefully they will firstly give me my money back, then repaint it all for me in a better paint, pigs might fly........:-]

• mii2
    4 years ago

Remember to mention, Sonia, that there are a great many people on Houzz waiting to hear the outcome from Screwfix, so you are speaking for a number of potential future customers of their products! We would all welcome seeing their repaint job of your deck after a few months! Our deck has Ed’s recommended product applied yearly in the spring and looks fantastic after 6 years. Definitely worth the money.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you mii2, that will be next step, but both emails were quite adamant about sorting the problem and helping me. Told him they need to stop sorting reviews by putting 5* at the top and the 1* hidden at the bottom. Thing is my deck is covered in their rubbish stain, so it would have to be removed if I wanted to use the Deck Oil, which would kill me off!

• E D
    4 years ago

Good result Sonia. Well done.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks E D. I’m still stuck with what to do with deck as most stains and paints need removal of old paint before use, but there is no way anyone can remove it all from a grooved deck! I’ve laid my outdoor rug on it so looks okay for now. Maybe that will do until we decide to replace it. :-)

• E D
    4 years ago

Yea I was thinking about your current state of the decking. Although you got your money back, in reality the Screw(you)fix decking stain has damaged your deck and will cost you more time (and thus money) to rectify.

Sorry :(

• E D
    4 years ago

Sonia, do you mean replace the decking or the rug?

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I meant the deck, but that won’t happen until it is rotten through and through! It will have to do E D, I haven’t the energy to argue more.......rug is recycled plastic so will last forever lol :-)

• E D
    4 years ago

Yes I totally get it.

Just enjoy your garden in this lovely weather we’re having. :)

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Gutted to hear that this has gone wrong so soon :-( id probably leave it over winter and possibly it will take a bit more off, then a powerful power wash in the spring will probably remove the rest :-)

im actually going to do my patio fence/partitions in syberian larch which left to the elements goes a great grey colour, no painting or staining as I’m afraid of this sort of thing happenin, I’m also having my front fence posts in it too but possibly having them lightly scorched for a lovely grained effect!

nice result on the refund too :-)

• maccabee7
    4 years ago

Hi- it is really frustrating when these things happen. With regard to getting the stain off, if if is sitting on the top surface then pressure washing the deck would take it off- often this removes the top layer of wood too, which makes it good for resealing... good luck!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great idea Beano and maccabee7. I think I will leave it until next year then borrow a pressure washer and get that goddamned stain off! Beano that larch sounds great. I’m not crying over what’s happened, I just wanted to warn you all to beware. :-)

• PRO
    Italian Design Ltd
    4 years ago

just a few words on varnishing wood. It's not as easy as it may seems for durable results, especially when talking about decking. All wood surfaces should be prepared before varnish. Should be free of dust, sanded down to open the pores and crucially should not have been previously treated with other products that may not allow the paint to grip.

Decking is not normally ready to be painted so to speak and does require a bit of preparation. There may be paints out there that do not require preparation but most do.

From personal experience decking oil is the best option because it penetrates the wood and won't flake off.

Unfortunately oils and paints require constant maintenance and softwood decking boards do not last forever. Hardwood decking are much more durable but do require maintenance too.

Also be very careful with painted decking as may become a bit slippery when wet.

There are many composite decking available in the market that do not require maintenance. In particular there are a few products that are and of 100% recycled plastic and are guaranteed for well over 20 years without requiring oiling or varnishing.

• PRO
    AGI Landscapes
    4 years ago

What a nightmare you've had. If you do replace your deck, the last thing you should get is grooved again. Smooth boards look better, are easier to maintain and more slip resistant if maintained and kept clean.

I always say to my clients never to paint decks, once you start you'll never stop.

As above treat with a quality decking oil and keep it clean.

Glad you got a refund and a very small gesture from screwfix. (I've always maintained you get what you pay for. It's called No Nonsense for a reason, it's cheap)

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks AGI. Ive learnt that there are many companies who promise results, but don’t deliver. Ronseal is just as bad. It’s the fact that the paint started to flake off after 5 weeks that angered me. Of course all outdoor paint fades eventually, but I was hoping it would be fine for a year or two! I’m wondering if I should lift each plank and flip it over to the smooth, untreated side and then treat it with deck oil? May be a possibility.........

• PRO
    AGI Landscapes
    4 years ago

That would be a good solution as long as it is screwed down and not nailed. Do you know if it is smooth on the reverse side or reeded?

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It is screwed down and if my memory serves me well, it was smooth. I’ll have to get someone in to do though, as I cannot. Depends whether it will be worth it. Apart from one little bit, it is pretty solid. Decisions, decisions!

• E D
    4 years ago

Yes Sonia, but at least you will have time to think about it, won’t you?

My feeling is, if all the ’posts’ and framework are in good condition too, turning them over is a worthwlike idea.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks E D I agree.

• 1shanson
    4 years ago

I love Garden Shades. There is a large pallet of colours and if you follow Cuprinol’s instructions for preparing the surface and application, you can’t go wrong. I’ve always found it to be really durable and looks great.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sadly not everyone has had success with Cuprinol Deck Stain 1shanson, but glad it works for you.

• 1shanson
    4 years ago

It’s two different products Sonia but both by Cuprinol. Hope you get your decking sorted.

• Patrick Mcculloch
    3 years ago

No-nonsense fence paint from screwfix is by far the best product on the market. When using decking stain you have got to remember that it does not penetrste the decking as it is water based.for a better lasting result you will gave to use a oil based decking stain

Sonia thanked Patrick Mcculloch
  • Paula Flutter
    3 years ago

We tried so many different types but unfortunately none of them stood the test of time, we got fed up of redoing it, we gave up and brought IKEA’s decking, it was worth it, looks amazing, none slip and guaranteed

• Sonia
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you guys but this Post was 2 yrs ago and the decking is no more! It had started to rot so we replaced with porcelain tiles.

• Ken Doughty
    2 years ago

Thanks sonia. Uk weather doesn't help does it? Ill avoid the screwfix and try cuprinol

• HU-522892466
    2 years ago

My deck looked amazing after painting with screwfix no nonsence black. weather dry for a few weeks but as soon as it rained and still 9 months on it rubs on on my shoes. Decking is an absolute mess. my white kitchen flooring is ruined. i saw several similar teviews on screwfix website but they have been removed

• Sonia
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What a nightmare HU! Screwfix also list their reviews in star order so 5* first and 1* and 2* at the end, if you could be bothered to scroll that far back. You should complain to them, I did. I got my money back as well as a small compensation payout, but then you’re still stuck with the painted decking.

• Gary Riley
    10 months ago

We had the same problem Screwfix decking paint is a load of rubbish don't buy this product

• Sonia
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Totally agree.

• Alessandro Luppino
    20 days ago

I have been using this for three years, i jet washed the decking first and did two coats, it did last well over a year to be honest , the following summer, just one coat was enough, it did pretty well on my decking the whole summer with extensive walking over. thats my feedback , so i am not sure why it came off so quickly on yours.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thank you Alessandro but the decking is no more! This post is quite old and since then we ditched the decking as it was rotting in places and replaced it with porcelain tiles.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.